Sunday, June 12, 2011

Role Models in all extent of the word

Look at the picture below! What do you see? backs of people sitting down and a black board in front of them.  These are students who are attending Don Bosco Technical School in Makuyu and are trying to get a job as mechanics.  One day of the past week the teacher was not in to give the theory lesson. I am with them for 2 weeks as I was with the plumbers.  This week I was totally amazed at their desire to keep learning even though the teacher was absent.  All of them ask for the notes for the day and I did not know how to react.  Back in the United States in College when a teacher does not show up for lecture the students leave and do not worry about what was to be discussed that day.  So, coming back to Makuyu, Kenya; after I brought them the notes one of them started explaining them and they all gathered to the front chairs to listen.  I was amazed at how they do not take our American attitude of just leaving since the teacher is not there to lecture for the day.  This is definitely an example to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment